Bolgheri a tale of 2 wines/vintages

The place for wine talk.

Moderators: stickman, james suckling, rob_c, Krystal Schwegel

Bolgheri a tale of 2 wines/vintages

Postby JohnnyB » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 am

Diner with some good friends on Saturday night. I had osso bucco with risotto. My friend had organic pasta with wild mushrooms and angus tenderloin. The ladies had angel hair pasta with vegies. I brought the wines.

2007 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Le Serre Nuove - Italy, Tuscany, Bolgheri (4/1/2012)
This was deep and quite extracted but in a good way. Great fruit beautiful tannins and a long finish. This needs 2 years to loose some baby fat but if you like them young and ripe drink up now. This is the second wine of Ornellaia. I can't wait to try the big brother(2007) in a few years. (92 pts.)

2006 Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto Toscana IGT- Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
Balanced wine with great fruit on the nose and smooth tannins on the finish. My best showing yet for this second wine of the house of Sassicaia. Drinking well now.(92 points)

2006 is a more balanced classic vintage and 2007 is very fruit forward in a more modern style. I was most surprised by the guidalberto which is 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot. The Serre Nuove is about 50% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot. Both second wines were outstanding.
I think I will be buying more of these second wines especially Guidalberto :happywine:
"Going where the water tastes like wine"
John Brody Montreal Canada
JohnnyB

Re: Bolgheri a tale of 2 wines/vintages

Postby Summus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Johnny, Johny, Jonny....

Did you loose your dictionary? Were the ladies vegggitareeans?

No, seriously, I remember when Le Serre Nuove was like $20 when it debuted. What is it now, $60? And we feel good about it. That's what Ornellaia used to cost! That crap drives me nuts, but I suppose it has more to do with Bernanke printing more money and debasing the dollar than it does the greed of the big corporate Tuscan producers. (Mondavi)

I even remember our own Mr. Suckling commenting in his Wine Spectator tasting note - I forget one vintage - maybe James remembers?? But it said "shame to see such a large price increase from the new owners."

What do I say?? Well, I don't want to be censored. If I can't be happy paying $40 for great 2006 Brunello, I'll call my AHBA instead.

F'Out
Summus

Location: Under the stairs, where that awful smell is coming from

Postby stickman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 am

Summus wrote:Johnny, Johny, Jonny....
What do I say?? Well, I don't want to be censored. If I can't be happy paying $40 for great 2006 Brunello, I'll call my AHBA instead.

F'Out

We're watching... 8-) :lol:
stickman

Postby JohnnyB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:14 pm

We live in a crazy world where prices double...triple in less than five years. :roll:(Bordeaux in one 2008-2009) :?
JohnnyB

Postby Nebbhead9 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 am

Had the '07 Le Serre Nuove last year blind @ a tasting and it showed well. I remember it being quite floral on the nose. Wine will be better with a few years of age (as you point out JB). Probably would have comanded more attention if it hadn't been shown with the '99 Ornellaia & Solaia.
Nebbhead9

Postby drewjones » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Well, according to Time magazine, last year's grape harvests did not yield as high a volume as planned. The recession had a hand in it, as poor economic conditions led to a fair number of vineyards being shuttered and a loss of production. As a result, prices for white whine grapes rose by 8 percent and red wine grape prices rose by 12 percent. It is bad news for oenophiles in the Golden State and the Pacific Northwest. In fact, it is said that the prices are projected to rise for California wines first, followed by Oregon and Washington. Wine prices are set to rise over the rest of the year, according to an industry analysis. Prices have been kept low artificially, but increasing demand and bad harvests are forcing the cost to go up. Source of article: National wine prices set to rise. Source of article: National wine prices set to rise.
drewjones

Postby stickman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Um, did you mean to put this post about rising domestic wine prices in a thread about Bolgheri? :?: Please explain.
stickman

Postby Summus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:56 pm

stickman wrote:Um, did you mean to put this post about rising domestic wine prices in a thread about Bolgheri? :?: Please explain.

If it's in the shape of a can and it looks like ham, it must be.......SPAM

Where's my flame thrower? Bring on the Viking Kittys.....
Summus

Location: Under the stairs, where that awful smell is coming from

Postby james suckling » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Prices are crazy indeed. I like both second wines you mention.

I bet you will like 2008 more....than 2007 and 2006.
james suckling

Postby JohnnyB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Bought some of the 2008 Le Serre Nuove but missed out on the Guidalberto. Just picked up the 2009 Guidalberto a few weeks ago but I'm on the fence about the 2009 Le Serre Nuove. Both houses are legends and these super seconds are well worth the $$. Sale at the SAQ this weekend so i'll pick up a few of the 2009's but now I'm on the fence about the Ornellaia 2009 as it was released here last week. Do you think it is on par with the last 3 vintages 2006-7 & 8.. :?:
JohnnyB

Postby james suckling » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

I looked at my barrel notes. It marked Ornellaia 2009 just a notch below 2008.
james suckling

Postby JohnnyB » Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 pm

So I picked up some Ornellaia 2009 last weekend along with 2007 Vietti Barolo Lazzarito and Oreno 2009. I hear the 2010 vintage is supposed to be the next great vintage in Tuscany/Piedmont :?: Any thoughts :idea:
JohnnyB

Return to Wine